Monday, February 22, 2010

ePoetry a new genre?

Now that poets can freely publish their work on the web are we looking at a new genre or approach to poetry?

Would Dickinson have been discovered if she had been able to publish herself on the Net? Or would she have been just as obscure, lost in the enormity of the web?

The great thing about the web is that there are no financial barriers to entry. I guess the purists would say that there is now no quality gateway but I suspect that view is elitist. It's not like there are legions of poets on the Net.

The immediacy of publication allows the raw edge of emotion to be explored. We can write and publish anywhere. I am on my teabreak writing this missive from my iPhone which I will publish shortly.

We can also explore multimedia and hypertextual poetry on the Net. This is an extension from the written page and allows for the development of what I would call visual poetry.

All in all I love cyberpoetry and the communities of poets that I collaborate with in the poetic e-Ther.

No comments: