Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Proust on Poetry

I am reading Proust's In Search of Lost Time and enjoyed this snippet on poetry.

"My mother had to abandon her quest, but managed to extract from the restriction itself a further delicate thought, like good poets whom the tyranny of rhyme forces into the discovery of their finest lines" (Vol 1, p31).

While we live in an age of blank verse this thought still holds true. The force of writing and the discipline results in good poetry.

Help The MBSPoet fund his poetry

1 comment:

Jenny Fletcher said...

I like your poems
Just as they are
Undecorated by rhyme
They stand clear
On life's un-graffiti'd wall

Last night I was listening to Coleridge's 'Kubla Khan' and learning about where he wrote it which helps to make more sense of the landscape described. I don't care if it was opium-inspired, it was a treat to hear it read aloud for the first time since I was at school. Here's hoping that folk will appreciate your poetry enough to read it aloud too - is that what you intended?