Monday, September 22, 2008

The Interview

Having a job interview can be a traumatic experience. Having been on both sides of the interview process, I can sympathize with the candidate.

The Interview

The pure joy
of the call
or email
"You have an
interview
on Tuesday at 10".

But then the questions begin,
how many am I up against?
I won't have a chance!!
I will have an excellent chance
back and forth according
to the
fluctuating mood

What shall I wear?
How shall I speak?
What do they want?
What do I want?
the questions multiply until
Tuesday at 10

At last Tuesday am comes
out of bed
get dressed
breakfast if you dare!
Worry
Whats the time
Its time to go
blind panic
rush
rush
rush

The wait to go in
the minutes
that seem to stretch for hours
until the dulcet,
"Would you like to come in?"

How are you, this is X, Y, Z
God, how will I remember such
tricky names?
Try not to shake, tremble
or grip the proffered hand to tightly...

The questions begin
Tell us why
Tell us what
Tell us when
Tell us what
output, output
output without break

Thank God its over
home to relax and stew
to replay countless times,
"Why did I say that!"
What did they mean by...
until the answer comes
You have been successful
when can you start...


Copyright G Goodman September 2008

First published on Qassia

No comments: